Thursday, March 29, 2012

Easy Peasy Mussels

Okay fine, the title is misleading...no peas in this recipe (gross)! What I mean is this might be one of the easiest/quickest recipes to pull together and quite healthy.

Now, I'm not going to lie, I've not been feeling well the past few days so I'm taking a major shortcut on this one! I typically add fresh veggies/aromatics/tomatoes etc to my mussel sauce and let simmer and get all yummy before adding the mussels (I've even done a white wine/garlic sauce), but I went straight for the store bought sauce this time.

I went with a no sugar added, organic tomato sauce. Definitely not as good or thick as when you throw in individual ingredients, but it sufficed for the night.

Ingredients (for this recipe):
-1 lb fresh/wild mussels
-1/2 Jar favorite tomato sauce (24oz Jar)

Directions:
1. Pour sauce in a big pan on the stove, heat up
2. While sauce is heating, de-beard and wash your mussles with cold water. You'll want to throw away any that are open or cracked as these are already dead. Keep on ice once cleaned.
3. Once the sauce is hot, put your mussels in the pan, cover, and let simmer for about 3-5 minutes. Once they open up they are cooked!
4. Pour into a bowl and serve with a clean bowl for the shell pieces.
5. Enjoy


No comments:

Post a Comment