Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Paleo Coconut Shrimp + Kale Chips

Tried my hand at 2 new items tonight, thought it'd be a good way to start the page! Below are the two recipes I used. I burnt the kale a bit....and the shrimp...but I guess it's better to be over-cooked then under-cooked. Monitor your heat settings. I used coconut oil - feel free to sub in olive oil or avocado oil etc.

Kale Chips
-Kale
-Olive Oil
-Spices (garlic salt, oregano, pepper, Greek seasoning)

1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees
2. Wash and pat dry kale
3. Chop into smaller pieces (leaving the woody stem to throw away). I used bagged kale so mine was pre-chopped. Note** The kale will shrink in the oven as it cooks
4. Drizzle with olive oil, coat the kale, but don't soak it
5. Season with preferred spices.
6. Spread out on a baking sheet, make sure the kale isn't too thick
7. Bake for 10 minutes, check, shake it up/flip them over. Check again in 5. They burn quickly, so take them out when they start getting crispy.

Here's a few pictures of how mine looked before cooking, after cooking, then on my plate (yes, I used my iphone...subsequent blog pics will be prettier - promise!)













Coconut Shrimp

-12-15 Shrimp (This was a little less then a 1/2 pound)
-2 Eggs
-1/2 tsp salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder
-1/2 cup almond flour
-1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
-Coconut Oil or Olive Oil

1. Peel and devein shrimp. (Lessen learned, this is time consuming have a big glass of wine nearby). Rinse and place on paper towels
2. Beat eggs and spices together in a bowl
3. Combine coconut (I shredded mine a bit more in a food processor) with almond meal. Mix well and put in a shallow dish/plate
4. Dredge. Shrimp --> eggs mix --> flour combo --> plate (to later place in pan on stove).
5. Let the shrimp set for 5-10 minutes.
6. Put your oil of choice in the pan, cook for about 2 minutes on each side (I tried 3 and my place almost burnt down). Flip
7. Set on a clean plate and let cook for a few minutes. Serve with your favorite (if you want), dipping sauce. I used this sweet and spicy sauce. A little bit goes a long way as you've got good flavor from the coconut, almonds, and spices.
8. Enjoy!


2 comments: